21st August 2022 || The Importance of Dedication by Rev. Ben Kuira
IMPORTANCE OF CHILD DEDICATION
Luke 2: 22-40
Jesus was presented to the temple and dedicated.
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men (Luke 2:52 NKJV).
– Dedication is an act of setting apart for consecration.
– Children belong to God, so all firstborns should be dedicated to God (Exodus 13:2 NKJV).
– Equally, other children need to be dedicated and presented to God (Read Mathew 19:13 – 14 NKJV).
Jesus never put conditions during the dedication of children (Mathew 18:10 NKJV).
God watches over little ones. Dedication is really very important (Deuteronomy 30:5 NKJV).
When you build a house, there’s an expectation of dedicating it to God. This applies to businesses and new opportunities that come along our way.
When a business is dedicated, it belongs to the Lord and the entrepreneurs are stewards of a business owned by God.
The story of Hannah and Peninnah (I Samuel 1:10-11, 27-28 NKJV) speak of child dedication.
For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him. Therefore I also have lent him to the Lord; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the Lord.” So they worshiped the Lord there (I Samuel 1:27-28 NKJV)
It’s wisdom to tell God on our own we can’t make but by the power of God. Those who dedicate their children to God they have covenanted with God. And when things go on the bad side, one should call upon the covenant keeping God.
Do we need to carry gifts in church during child dedication day?
No, because Jesus paid it all. It’s not what you carry but what Jesus gave. Gifts are given out voluntarily but not as a command.
Who dedicates a child?
– Children are dedicated by men of God who listen and respond to God’s will
Baptism vs Dedication
Baptism is a means to salvation. Children are dedicated to God and when they are old and ready to give their lives to God, they get baptised.
Baptism happens after salvation (John 1:29 NKJV)
Baptism is a Greek word, it means to fully immerse inside water.
After one makes a choice of being a disciple of Christ they get Baptised and choose Christ to be the Lord of their life (Mathew 28: 19 NKJV is about The Great Commission).
When you dedicate something, it belongs to God. Whoever touches a dedicated child, they answer to God.
1. I will treasure my child as a gift from God (Psalm 127: 3)
2. I will teach my child that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that by accepting Him He or she will have eternal life (John 3: 16)
3. I will extend grace as I have been given grace (Ephesians 6: 4)
4. I will take responsibility in helping my child discover their God given purpose (Psalms 139: 13-14)
5. I will pray for my Child (1st Samuel 12: 23)
6. I will forgive my child as I have been forgiven (Ephesians 4: 32)
7. I will bless my child (Deuteronomy 28:1-14)
9th October 2022 || Breaking up the Labels by Pst. Josephat Karanja || Called Out Series
October 22, 2022