16th May 2021 – Belonging to a Local Church by Mwangi Theuri ~ Belonging Series
Psalms 122: 1-9
I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go into the house of the Lord .” (Psalms 122:1 NKJV)
Psalms 121, and 122 are about David and the Jews going to Jerusalem to worship God. It was a personal journey by David.
But there were also many other people who were joyful to come to the house of God with David. He knew what they were going to do in the house of God- Worship God.
David gives reason why he enjoys coming to the place of worship.
At the living church:
– We find the truth
– We worship the living God
– Christ is the Head
God comes and intermingles with us when we come together to worship. We experience joy and freedom.
For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them (Matthew 18:20 NKJV)
Why come together to worship God?
1. We encourage one another when we worship together.
2. A people that worship together are stronger spiritually. Nothing overcomes the church that worships together.
3. We become equal heirs of God’s kingdom. We are not foreigners in God’s presence (Ephesians 2: 19). Doesn’t matter tribe, culture, social standing. To God we are all equal.
4. Christ Jesus becomes the cornerstone of the church (Ephesians 2: 20)
5. At the end we become the Holy temple of the Lord. We become a dwelling of God’s spirit.
Ephesians 4: 25 sets expectations as we fellowship together:
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body (Ephesians 4:25 NIV).
What’s the benefit of belonging to a local church?
1. It gives joy of worshipping God for who He is
2. God’s presence is in the midst of believers (Matthew 2)
3. God does powerful things in congregations e.g. at Pentecost, the march around Jericho.
4. The annointed Word is shared in congregations
5. We are taught, equipped and transformed in congregations (Acts 5: 42)
6. Makes the word alive and joyful (not dry)
7. Discipleship of the Word of God happens in the local church
8. Spirits are lifted when we worship together
9. Our faith is increased when we worship in our local church. We need strong faith through fellowship and Word of God.
10. We are witnesses in fellowship. It is a place of accountability to one another
11. We get connected in fellowship
12. Practically we begin to show the love of God in fellowship. Fellowships enable us to practically show and express love for one another.
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer (Acts 2:42 NIV).
– May we discover the joy of fellowship in our local church/assembly.
– Let us find time to join other believers to worship God
– Let us build and grow the local church on prayer
– Bring many more people to the local church to fellowship.
– Use your spiritual gifts to serve others in your local church
– Be a brothers keeper- extend love to one another through local church.