9th May 2021 – Belonging to a Church by Rev Ben Kuira ~ Belonging Series
Matthew 16: 13-20
Priority list for a balanced Christian, by order:
Today we learn about belonging to a church family.
Church is not a building, an institution or an event.
A church is a spiritual connection where we experience God. We are God’s temple. So fellowship with God can happen anywhere.
The church (believers) can meet in a building or anywhere.
– Jesus also went into the synagogue as a custom/habit (Luke 4: 16).
– Paul visited the temple (Acts 17: 2)
– Prayers were held at the riverside (Acts 16: 13)
– The early Christians assembled together at Antioch (Acts 11: 26)
It is our duty to do what Christ, Paul, the Apostles did- met to fellowship and hear God’s word in various places.
Jesus promises to build the Church (body of believers)…
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (Matthew 16:18 KJV).
– Even with early persecution, the word of God spread.
– Historically, the blood of martyr’s eg in Uganda was the foundation of the church today.
– You can also be a pillar representing the church of God.
Why are some people struggling to belong to a local church?
– It’s because they are not engaged in the vision, mission and purpose of the local church.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6: 21).
Your heart follows your treasure.
When you invest or give your talent, time, resources, you will value the other members of your fellowship and the place of meeting.
Abram demonstrated investing in God by tithing 10% of everything (Genesis 14:20).
We are equally called upon to give cheerfully for God’s work.
– Giving is a sign of love.
– It’s an expression of thanks giving.
– It attracts blessings.
The following happens when we belong to or invest in a local church (Acts 2: 42-47):
– Mature in the Word of God
– Baptism happens
– Addition happens (Growth)
– Fellowship with other believers
– Miracles and wonders become part of us
– Sharing and meeting needs of each other
– Visitation and break bread- eat together
– Praising God
– We receive favour from God
Faithfulness is required of a believer.
Recognize where your trust is.
Jesus Christ is the rock upon which the church was built. God reveals to us who Christ is.
Whoever gets the revelation of who Christ is (the annointed of God), the church is built on that belief. We become the church!
We are called upon to play an active role in our local church for us to value it.
– Support your church financially through tithing and giving
– Give your time and talents
– Pray for one another.